Walker Hall

VA Benefits FAQs

Q: What is needed to start the process so I can use VA education benefits at Maryville?
A: If you have not done so, please complete the online application for VA education benefits. The VA will then issue you a Certificate of Eligibility (COE) for VA education benefits. Please submit a legible copy of the COE as soon as possible to militarybenefits@maryville.edu.

If you have used your VA benefit elsewhere, additionally please complete a Change of Program with the VA.

Q: Am I able to get financial aid (e.g., loans or Pell) and use a VA education benefit?
A: Yes, in most cases the financial aid will post first to your account. Once Maryville receives a tuition and fees payment from the VA, then a refund will be issued to you consisting of all excess financial aid funds.

Q: Am I able to receive institutional aid (e.g., scholarships) and use a VA education benefit?
A: Yes, however we are required to offset the amount of tuition funding received through scholarships when reporting tuition and fees to the VA. In the case of scholarships that are tuition-specific, this will often reduce the amount payable by VA through the Post-9/11 GI Bill®.

Q: Can I use more than one VA benefit at a time?
A: You cannot use more than one chapter benefit at a time.

Q: If I am using Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® how do I get my books?

A: If the VA has processed your enrollment certification, your book stipend will be paid immediately prior to the course start date(s). Depending on the timing, the book stipend could be paid with your first monthly housing stipend. It is recommended to prepare to pay book expenses upfront, then receive reimbursement from the book stipend.

Q: Can I take any class I want while at Maryville University?
A: The VA will only pay for courses that are required to complete your degree or certificate program.

Q: What happens if I drop a class, fail a class, or withdraw from the semester?
A: Please report any schedule changes promptly to the Veteran Services Specialist at militarybenefits@maryville.edu. In most cases of a reduction or withdrawal, the VA will require some or all of the funds to be returned if they have been paid to the school. This may result in a debt with the school. We may be required to report last dates of attendance for certain failed courses, which can also result in a return of funds.

Q: How does my Post 9/11 G.I. Bill® eligibility percentage affect how much funding I will receive?
A: The VA will pay that percentage of all reportable tuition and fees. For example, a student with a 60% eligibility percentage will have 60% of their VA-eligible tuition and fees covered, and will receive 60% of the monthly housing allowance and book stipend amount, depending on course load.

Q: How many hours do I need to be in to receive a monthly housing allowance?
A: In order to qualify to receive BAH payments, your rate of pursuit must be greater than half-time.

Undergraduate: To receive the full BAH, you must be enrolled in at least 12 credit hours for the entire 16-week term, or at least 6 credit hours for the entire 8-week term.

Graduate: To receive the full BAH, you must be enrolled in at least 9 credit hours for the entire 16-week term. The VA will calculate your payment for anything less than full-time.

If you are fully online, your monthly housing allowance will be 50% of the national average of all Basic Allowances for Housing.

Q: How can I make sure that my account stays in good standing while Maryville University waits to get payment and I don’t get any late fees on my account?
A: All students who have submitted a Certificate of Eligibility for VA education benefits or an authorization for Military Tuition Assistance will be allowed to enroll in a VA/TA Payment Plan, which defers any payment deadline until the last date of the semester. The VA/TA Payment Plan needs to be re-completed for each term.

Q: Who should I contact with questions about payment amounts?
A: The VA asks that students with questions regarding payment to contact them through the VA Education Assistance Hotline at 1 (888) 442-4551 or via the AskVA portal.

Q: Who can I contact with additional questions or concerns?
A: Andrew Gates is the Veteran Services Specialist and VA School Certifying Official at Maryville University. He can be reached via email at militarybenefits@maryville.edu or at (314) 529-6636.