Welcome Maryville Parents!


We believe that parents play an extremely important role in helping us to assist students with personal, emotional, and adjustment problems while they’re in college. You knew your student before they came to college so you are often best at recognizing changes that might indicate they are struggling. Our office is here to assist your student with any emotional concern that might be getting in the way of their success and happiness.

Signs and Symptoms of Distress

Mental health concerns often appear for the first time during the college years. Some possible signs and symptoms of distress to look for include:

  • Changes in behavior (for example, a normally conscientious student blowing off classes)
  • Withdrawing from normal activities
  • Marked changes in personal hygiene
  • Feeling of helplessness and/or hopelessness
  • Avoiding people and activities that usually enjoyed
  • Inability to focus on anything but the problem
  • Difficulty making decisions
  • Inability to sleep or always feeling exhausted or irritable
  • Mood swings
  • Excessive sleeping or sleeplessness
  • Decreased motivation or ability to concentrate
  • Dramatic weight loss or weight gain
  • Excessive use of drugs or alcohol
  • Unexpected outbursts of anger or crying

If you’re worried about your student

The Counseling Center is here to assist you and there are many resources available to help your student through difficult times.

  • Encourage counseling. Students can be hesitant to seek out counseling because they fear someone will find out. Let your student know that counseling is confidential and that you support them in reaching out for help. Remind them that many successful people utilize counseling in their personal lives to help them set goals, work through roadblocks, and overcome obstacles. It doesn’t have to be a crisis for someone to seek a counselor and it doesn’t mean they’re “crazy”.
  • Call us. If you are concerned about your student, call the Counseling Center at 314-529-9556. We are available to consult with you about your concerns. If you need help for your student in an emergency, contact Public Safety at 314-529-9500 or the police at 911.
  • Know the resources. There are numerous support resources on campus to assist your student, from tutoring services to opportunities for social involvement. Any staff member of the university would be happy to guide you in the appropriate direction.
  • Referrals. If your student wishes to obtain psychiatric care or would prefer to see a counselor off campus, the Counseling Center would be happy to provide possible referrals and assist with reviewing providers based on your specific insurance plan.
  • What about confidentiality? Based on confidentiality requirements, the Counseling Center staff cannot share any information regarding student counseling attendance or any other student information without a signed “release of information” from the student.

Transition Year Guide for Parents: