International Admissions – Frequently Asked Questions

How do I apply to Maryville University as an international student?

Please submit the following documents:

  1. Completed Application for Admission (available online)
  2. Transcripts from secondary school and/or university transcripts, if transferring credits
  3. Official English proficiency exam score TOEFL (Maryville’s institutional code is: 6399), IELTS, or PTE-Academic.
  4. Official financial support documentation verifying source and amount of support.

Can I apply without an English proficiency exam score?

No – Maryville University requires all International applicants, whose first language is not English, to submit an English proficiency exam score. We currently do not offer full conditional admission. An English proficiency exam score is required for conditional acceptance. However, if an applicant is from an English-speaking country or has studied for at least 2 academic years (full-time) at an English-speaking school or university, Maryville does not require an English proficiency exam score. Maryville will also allow students into undergraduate programs if they have completed the Advanced level at an official ESL school.  Currently, Maryville only has agreements with LSI and ELS language centers.

What English proficiency score is required?

To begin full-time undergraduate work, students must have at least TOEFL PBT 500, TOEFL IBT 61, IELTS 5.5, or PTE-Academic 44. To begin undergraduate classes in the Simon School of Business, students must have above TOEFL PBT 525 or equivalent, and to begin classes in the School of Health Professions, the TOEFL requirement is 550 PBT or equivalent. TOEFL 550/213 or above is required for all graduate programs.  Please check the Admission Requirements page for specific requirements for the various graduate programs.

Do I need to take any other tests?

The GMAT is required for full admission to the MBA program. Conditional acceptance, which allows for up to two courses to be taken before completion of the GMAT, may be granted for students with at least a 2.5 GPA out of 4.0.  Students with a bachelor’s degree in a School of Business major and a 3.0 GPA out of 4.0 will be waived of the GMAT requirement.  The GRE is required for the Master of Actuarial Science program.  This program requires a minimum mathematical/quantitative score of 600.

How can I get an I-20?

After gaining admission to a Maryville University program, and submitting documents showing sufficient financial support, you will be issued a SEVIS Form I-20. Also, after Maryville University issues you a SEVIS form I-20, we require an enrollment deposit of $100.00. and/or $150.00 housing deposit before you can register for classes or have a room assignment. These are refundable if you send a written request to the Office of International Admissions. If you do not get your student visa approved, we will return the deposit to you.

How do I apply for an F-1 visa?

You should first check the Department of State web site to find the nearest US embassy where you can interview.  The web site is: https://travel.state.gov/content/visas/en/study-exchange/student.html  You will need to contact the US embassy to schedule your appointment.  For your interview, you should take your original Form I-20, original letter of admission, and original financial support documents.

Where is Maryville located?

Maryville University is located in the west St. Louis County area of St. Louis, Missouri. We are located in the affluent and safe residential area of Town & Country, approximately 20 minutes from the downtown area and 15-20 minutes from the St. Louis Lambert International Airport (airport code: STL).

What kind of financial support documents do you require?

U. S. Immigration requires us to have on file original documents showing willingness and ability of a student or sponsor to finance the student’s first year of study, transportation, and room & board. This document must be an original document, translated into English. Most sponsors submit bank statements or letters from their banks, stating the amount of funds available for the student’s education. The student or student’s sponsor must also fill out and return the Confirmation of Financial Resources & Affidavit of Support (available on our web site on the “Important Forms” page), depending on who is financing the education.

Can international students apply for financial aid?

Yes. International undergraduate students are eligible to receive Academic, Art & Design, and Athletic scholarships. Academic scholarships are based on a student’s senior school or university transcripts and any test score that they submit.  Art & Design scholarships are awarded by the Art Department after reviewing a student’s art portfolio (CD or DVD of work is accepted, but please contact the Director of International Admissions for details).  Athletic scholarships are awarded by the coach of the sport after reviewing a student-athlete’s skill level.  Please contact the coach of the sport for more details.  Maryville does not offer graduate assistantships or financial aid for graduate students.

How do I transfer credits to Maryville?

If your credits are from a U.S. institution, please have an official transcript sent directly to Maryville University Office of International Admissions. If your credits are from a non-U.S. institution, you will need to have an official credentials evaluation by a credentials evaluation service, such as WES (www.wes.org).  A list of some authorized evaluation companies is available on our web site (on the “Transcript Evaluation” page).   Nursing applicants must have their transcripts evaluated by CGFNS (http://www.cgfns.org).

Does Maryville have an application deadline?

Maryville University does not have a deadline for submitting an application. However, if you are applying from overseas, plan to apply by June 1st for the Fall semester and by November 1st for the Spring semester, in order to allow enough time for document processing, issuing the I-20 and interviewing at the U.S. Embassy.

Can I stay on campus during holiday vacation breaks?

Yes, students are allowed to stay in the student housing during the university’s holiday breaks (including Thanksgiving, Christmas, Spring Break, etc.).  There is no extra housing charge to stay on campus during these breaks.  University public security officers are on campus 24 hours a day, every day of the year.  If you wish to stay on campus during the summer holiday, special housing rates will apply.

SEVIS Fee Information

For information on the SEVIS fee information visit their website: www.ice.gov/sevis/i901

Maryville University accepts cash, check, money orders, cashier’s checks, MasterCard, VISA, Discover, and American Express and wire transfers for tuition and fee payments. Evidence of financial support must be received by the University before an I-20 document will be issued.