Book Voucher Information
Maryville University students who have financial aid in excess of their tuition and fees and are anticipating a refund may apply for a book voucher. The book voucher will allow students (whose textbooks and course materials are not already provided to them directly by the university) to use their financial aid funds in advance of the semester and charge their textbooks and other required course materials to their student account.
IMPORTANT CHANGES TO THE BOOK VOUCHER PROCESS
The book voucher process for Summer 2020 2nd half only students has changed from the book voucher process for Fall 2019, Spring 2020, and Summer 1st half. The updated book voucher process allows students to charge actual course material amounts to their student account for the course materials needed and purchased through RedShelf. Previously students were charged a flat-rate based on semester credit hours. Please read through the eligibility and usage requirements below to learn how to qualify and use a book voucher.
Eligibility and usage requirements for book vouchers include:
- Students must be registered for Summer 2020 courses, and have pending financial aid for the semester which exceeds their charges.
- Students must have all financial aid requirements completed. Please ensure you have accepted your aid and completed all additional requirements (examples: entrance counseling, master promissory note, PLUS loan application, etc).
- You can view your Financial Aid checklist by going to https://community.maryville.edu/ > Maryville Self-Service > Financial Aid > Award Year 2019-2020.
Usage and Important Dates for approved book vouchers:
- Book Voucher requests will be reviewed starting two weeks prior to course start dates.
- April 20, 2020 – Review process begins for Full Semester and/or First Half Summer 2020 semester book voucher requests.
- June 15, 2020 – Review process begins for 2nd Half Only Summer 2020 semester book voucher requests.
- Full Semester or First Half Courses – Students enrolled in full semester or first half courses have until Thursday of the first week of class to request and be approved for a book voucher. For the Summer 2020 semester this date is May 7, 2020 at noon (Central).
- The last day to use book voucher funds for First Half or Full Semester Summer 2020 courses is May 13, 2020.
- After this date book voucher requests will only be approved for students enrolled in second half courses only.
- Second Half Courses Only – Students enrolled only in second half courses have until Thursday of the first week of class to request and be approved for a book voucher. For the Summer 2020 2nd half only this date is July 2, 2020 at noon (Central).
- The last day to use book voucher funds for Second Half Summer 2020 courses is July 8, 2020.
- Students will be notified via their Maryville email account once their voucher has been reviewed.
- Denied Vouchers – The email stating your voucher has been denied will detail why and/or what can be done to be approved for a voucher. Please ensure the above requirements are completed prior to requesting a book voucher.
- Approved Vouchers – Students with approved vouchers will use their voucher with RedShelf through their Canvas portal. Students can add their required course materials to their cart and will be prompted to use their book voucher funds at the time of checkout. Funds used to purchase materials with RedShelf will be charged to students’ accounts in 1-2 business days.
Important Note for Full Semester/First Half Students who have a Second Half Course:
If your book voucher is approved during the first half of the semester, it may only be used to purchase course materials needed for courses starting during the first half of the semester. This means your voucher cannot be used to purchase course materials for second half courses. Please be sure to save a portion of your financial aid refund or make alternative arrangements to purchase any materials required for late starting courses when those materials become available two weeks prior to the course start date.
Please do not proceed with the book voucher request until you have thoroughly read all information above and understand how the program will work for Summer 2020.