ACT Residual Testing
Maryville University offers the ACT Residual test to those students who are interested in attending Maryville. The score is non-transferable. The test can be taken every 60 days by appointment only. The cost of the test is $35.00. For more details or to schedule an appointment, contact the Center for Academic Success and First-Year Experience at 314.529.9477.
ACT Testing Dates
- July 1, 2014 – 9:00 a.m.
- August 8, 2014 – 9:00 a.m.
- September 26, 2014 – 9:00 a.m.
- October 27, 2014 – 12:00 p.m.
- December 5, 2014 – 9:00 a.m.
- January 10, 2015 – 9:00 a.m.
- February 9, 2015 – 12:00 p.m.
- March 27, 2015 – 9:00 a.m.
- April 27, 2015 – 12:00 p.m.
- May 29, 2015 – 9:00 a.m.
- June 29, 2015 – 12:00 p.m.
ISYS Proficiency Exam
Maryville offers the ISYS 100 Computer Applications Proficiency examination to current students who feel they are proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access. If a passing score is achieved, the student may receive credit in ISYS 100 (section 60) with no class attendance. A student may take the proficiency exam one time per semester and twice overall. Students who pass the exam may either receive credit and a grade of “P” with regular tuition charges or may have the Student Service Center indicate proficiency on their transcript.
For more details or to schedule an appointment, contact the Center for Academic Success and First-Year Experience at 314.529.9477.
Speech Proficiency Exam
To sign up: Please email Dr. Carver your name, email address, year in college (i.e., Sophmore), your major, and the day you will take the exam (either Oct 2nd or 3rd). Dr. Carver’s email address is: email@example.com. You are expected to attend (and serve as an audience member for the entire time).
Note: Students who are in their last semester of study at Maryville are not permitted to take the Speech Proficiency Examination.
The Speech Proficiency Examination is composed of three elements:
1) A 5-7 minute Informative Speech
2) A 5-7 minute Persuasive Speech
3) A written outline for each of the speeches. (Create an extemporaneous outline based upon the following directives.)
General Information About the Speech Proficiency Examination
1. The examination is offered twice annually, during the fall and spring semesters, in a day and an evening session. The usual dates are early October and early February. Students who pass the examination may receive credit in SPCH 110.60 by registering for this credit within a calendar year after they pass the exam. No attendance is required. The student will receive a grade of P. Regular tuition is charged.
3. Students who pass the examination have a second alternative: to have the Registrar indicate on their transcript that they have passed the exam in speech within a calendar year after they pass the exam. A $45 fee is charged.
4. There is no fee for the examination itself.
5. Only currently enrolled Maryville University students may take the Speech Proficiency Examination.
6. The examination may not be taken in the last semester of registration.
7. Directives for the Speech Proficiency Examination, exam dates, and instructions for registering by email to take the exam are posted in this document. 8. Register by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org. Include in your email your name, student number, phone number, year at university, and the date you will take the exam (you will need to attend the entire three hour time period).
If you have any questions and/or concerns, please email Dr. Carver at email@example.com
College-Level Examination Program
Maryville offers the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) to both Maryville and non-Maryville students who seem strong in certain subjects. This program can be described as taking a final exam of a course without attending the class. Each test is taken online. Most CLEP exams are 90 minutes in length. No more that two CLEP exams can be taken in the same day. If the student does not pass, he/she may retake the exam in six months. Maryville University allows a total of 30 CLEP credits. For more details or to schedule an appointment, contact the Center for Academic Success and First-Year Experience at 314.529.9477. Please schedule tests at least one week in advance of the testing date. To see available exams, please click here.
Fees: $100 total:
- $80 for taking the CLEP test. Students pay the $80 fee in advance: Clep.collegeboard.org and create an account under Clep for test takers. Student pays the $80 fee, prints and brings their registration ticket on the day of the scheduled test.
- $20 to take the test at Maryville (Make checks payable to Maryville University, cash or credit cards accepted)
- For Maryville students, if a passing score is received, $50 per credit hours will be charged by Maryville to post the class on the student’s transcript.
Study guides and test examples: www.collegeboard.com
- Click on For Students
- Click Click on College Board Tests (CLEP)
- Click on Clep Exams (located under (CLEP)
- Study Guides are available to order from the University Bookstore or other retail book providers