ACT Residual Testing
Maryville University offers the ACT Residual test to those students who are interested in attending Maryville. The score is non-transferable. The test can be taken every 60 days by appointment only. The cost of the test is $40. For more details or to schedule an appointment, contact Student Success at 314.529.9477.
ACT Testing Dates
- June 29, 2015 – noon
- August 3, 2015 – noon
- September 28, 2015 – 1:00p.m.
- November 30, 2015 – 9:00a.m.
- January 9, 2016 – 9:00a.m.
- February 26, 2016 – 9:00a.m.
- March 28, 2016 – 9:00a.m.
- May 6, 2016 – 9:00a.m.
- June 27, 2016 – 1:00p.m.
- July 29, 2016 – 1:00p.m.
ISYS Proficiency Exam
Maryville offers the ISYS 100 Computer Applications Proficiency examination to current students who feel they are proficient in Microsoft Word, PowerPoint, Excel, and Access. If a passing score is achieved, the student may receive credit in ISYS 100 (section 60) with no class attendance. A student may take the proficiency exam one time per semester and twice overall. Students who pass the exam may either receive credit and a grade of “P” with regular tuition charges or may have the Student Service Center indicate proficiency on their transcript.
For more details or to schedule an appointment, contact the Student Success at 314.529.9477.
Speech Proficiency Exam
Speech Proficiency Examination
The Speech Proficiency Examination is an option for currently enrolled Maryville University students to demonstrate proficiency in public speaking. Students who pass the exam may receive three hours of credit.
Fall 2015 Exam Dates: October 8th, 2015 6:00pm- 9:00pm or October 9th from 9:00am-noon.
Specific sign-up times will be available on Canvas after you have registered for the course.
Exam Registration: To register for the exam, please register for the following course on Access Maryville (just like you would register for any other course):
SPCH 110-60 ORAL COMM- PROFICIENCY TEST
There are zero hours associated with registering for this “course” but it will allow you to sign up to take the exam and grant you access to the Canvas page which has all the details about the exam.
The Speech Proficiency Examination is composed of two elements:
1) A 5-7 minute informative and a 5-7 minute persuasive speech
2) An informative speech outline and a persuasive speech outline
General Information about the Speech Proficiency Examination:
- When is the exam offered? The examination is offered four times annually, twice during the fall and twice during the spring semesters, in day and evening sessions. The usual dates are early October and early February.
- Who is eligible? All Maryville students who are currently enrolled in classes. However, you may not take the exam if you are in your last 30 hours (senior year).
- Exam Fee: There is no fee for the examination itself
What happens if I pass? You will need to select one of the following options.
- Option 1: Students who pass the examination may receive credit by registering for SPCH 110: Oral Communications (section 60) within one calendar year after passing the exam. No attendance is required. The student will receive a grade of “P” and regular tuition is charged.
- Option 2: Students who pass the examination can also choose to have the Student Service Center indicate on their transcript that they have demonstrated proficiency in Speech. This must be done within one calendar year after passing the exam. A $45 fee is charged by the Registrar.
What happens if I fail?
The SPCH 110-60 class will be dropped off your schedule and no record of it will appear on your transcript. You may have two attempts (only one per semester) to pass this exam.
Exam Details: Directives for the Speech Proficiency Examination including exam date and time sign up, and grading rubrics may be found on the SPCH 110- ORAL COMM- PROFICIENCY TEST Canvas site (after you have registered for the course).
College-Level Examination Program
Maryville offers the College-Level Examination Program (CLEP) to both Maryville and non-Maryville students who seem strong in certain subjects. This program can be described as taking a final exam of a course without attending the class. Each test is taken online. Most CLEP exams are 90 minutes in length. No more than two CLEP exams can be taken in the same day. If a student does not pass, he/she may retake the exam in three months. Maryville University allows a total of 30 CLEP credits. For more details or to schedule an appointment, contact Student Success at 314.529.9477. Please schedule tests at least one week in advance of the testing date. To see available exams, please click here.
Fees: $100 total:
- $80 for taking the CLEP test. Students pay the $80 fee in advance: Clep.collegeboard.org and create an account under Clep for test takers. Student pays the $80 fee, prints and brings their registration ticket on the day of the scheduled test.
- $20 to take the test at Maryville (Make checks payable to Maryville University; cash or credit cards accepted).
- For Maryville students, if a passing score is received, $50 per credit hour will be charged by Maryville to post the class on the student’s transcript.
Study guides and test examples: www.collegeboard.com