About Digital Diplomas
When you graduate, you can choose to receive a digital version of your diploma in addition to the physical diploma which is sent via mail. The digital diploma is sent as an email attachment, and is added to a mobile wallet app on your mobile device(s). It is coded and certifiable using blockchain technology, which is used to both protect and verify your diploma. There is no additional cost for the digital diploma.
- iOS or Android, and adding Maryville as a credentials issuer.
While everyone receives a physical diploma, you must opt-in and take action to receive a digital diploma by downloading the Blockcerts Wallet mobile app for
- The Blockcerts Wallet app can also be used for other blockchain-based credentials.
- After the conclusion of each semester, an initial issuance will be conducted for graduates of that semester. If you have downloaded the app and connected to Maryville at the time of initial issuance, you will receive your digital diploma automatically. For those who download the app and connect to Maryville after the initial issuance, diplomas are issued on a monthly cycle on the 1st of each month.
- You will need access to your Maryville University email account in order to receive a digital diploma. You can identify your username and/or reset your password here. For additional assistance, please contact the IT Help Desk.
Download Blockcerts Wallet App
How to Receive a Digital Diploma
Complete these steps to ensure that you receive your digital diploma as soon as it is available.
After the initial issuance for each semester’s graduates, digital diplomas are issued on the 1st of each month.
- Download the Blockcerts Wallet app on your mobile device and create a free account. This step can be completed at any time!
- You will be issued a passphrase that allows you to maintain ownership of your blockchain-based records across multiple devices.
- Keep a backup of your passphrase somewhere safe. If you lose it, you will need to download the app again, obtain a new passphrase, and contact us to reissue your digital diploma.
- Continue to monitor your Maryville University email account for an email invitation.
- Once you receive the email, click on the link in the email invitation to generate your unique public key and add Maryville University as an issuer.
- You will receive a second email to your Maryville University email account once your digital diploma has been issued, which will have a coded digital diploma file attached. Store this file wherever you keep important data.
- Click the link in the email to add the digital diploma to your Blockcerts Wallet.
- Share your credential with employers, family, and friends through email, text, or social media! Since your diploma is written to the blockchain, it can be verified instantly and is tamper proof.
Verifying a Maryville Digital Diploma
Use our verification portal to authenticate credentials that have been issued by Maryville University and written to the blockchain.
The verification process answers questions about the credential’s integrity and validity:
- Is the credential the same as when the issuer issued it? (i.e. how do I know it wasn’t tampered with?)
- Was the credential revoked?
The verification process ensures that the credential you see wasn’t tampered with by comparing hashes with what is registered on the blockchain. It also confirms that Maryville University was the issuer of the digital diploma.
The verification process ensures the credential wasn’t revoked. A credential may have been revoked by Maryville University if it contained errors or was issued mistakenly.
Frequently Asked Questions
- What is blockchain?
Blockchain is a distributed ledger technology (DLT), somewhat like a giant, shared spreadsheet that captures every transaction on the blockchain network. Each block of immutable, time-stamped data (the block) is secured and bound to each other using a cryptographic hash (the chain), which connects to the real data off the chain. Like the Internet, blockchain uses a peer-to-peer network; however, it does not rely on any central server or authority so the records are public and verifiable. Blockchain is capable of carrying value in addition to just data.
- What is Maryville University’s blockchain learning credential initiative?
Maryville University is currently implementing a blockchain solution to help create a truly student-owned learning credential solution, which is a secure, tamper-proof, readily shareable and verifiable record of diplomas, certificates, transcripts, etc. Maryville students can use these permanent academic records to build their own digital online profile.
- What are the benefits of a blockchain learning credential solution?
Maryville students will be able to receive, manage, search, and verify their learning credentials on their smart phones and mobile devices. They can easily share their academic achievements with their friends, family, and employers on LinkedIn and other social media sites, or privately via email or text using a link. Students can choose what and with whom they want to share their credentials.
Simply put, your credentials will always be at your fingertips, and ready for you to send and share when needed. Further, when you own your official records, you no longer have to get original copies from the registrar every time you are applying for a new opportunity, whether that is at a school or with an employer. You can simply send your digital [certificate type] via email or text message or paste a link to your [certificate type] in your resume or LinkedIn profile for easy verification.
- How much will it cost for Maryville students to use this solution?
It is free for all Maryville students to receive, manage, search, share and verify their learning credentials on blockchain.
- When can Maryville students expect to start using blockchain learning credentials?
Maryville is currently implementing the blockchain learning credential solution, starting with a pilot to issue diplomas and certificates to August 2019 graduates. We expect that for December 2019 and beyond, all Maryville University graduates will have the option to receive their diploma and/or certificate on the blockchain. Initiatives and pilots for other types of credentials are forthcoming.
- How do I get my credentials?
Receiving credentials is easy!
- First, download the free mobile app.
You will receive an email from Maryville University inviting you to download the free Blockcerts app from your phone’s App Store. Once installed, copy your secure passphrase and store it somewhere safe; you will need it if you ever delete the app or lose your phone.
- Next, add Maryville University as an issuer.
Once you have installed the app, click the link in the email to add Maryville as an issuer. You only need to add Maryville once; after that, we can send you as many credentials as you earn.
- Finally, add your credentials to the app.
When it’s time to receive your credential, you will receive a second email from Maryville with your actual credential attached. This file is your real blockchain certificate; store it wherever you store other important data files. You can also click the link in the email to add the certificate to your Blockcerts app, which makes sharing and online display easy.
- First, download the free mobile app.
- How does the app work?
Your app works just like a private folder. It’s cryptographically secured, so nobody but you can access it. It talks to the organizations that issue you credentials, so they know where to send them. It also lets you keep credentials and certificates from many different organizations all in one place on your own devices. It’s not tied to any public identity you have (like a social media profile or a school account), so you choose when and how you want to share the information in your app.
This also means you are responsible for managing your app. It will have a secure passphrase to which only you have access. Make sure you save your unique passphrase in a secure place, like a password manager. This will let you regenerate your app and prove you own your credentials if you ever delete your app or lose your phone. The passphrase is also what allows you to maintain ownership of your credentials across multiple devices.
- What can I do with my blockchain credentials?
Having your credentials on the blockchain means that your original record is always in your possession. You control how it is used. You can choose to share the information publicly, like on a social media profile, or send it privately by email or text message. You can include links to your credentials on your resume, public portfolio, or applications, so that others can verify your qualifications with the click of a button, such as a potential employer.
- How long will I have my blockchain credentials?
Once a record is on the blockchain, it is there forever. Some information may expire (if it’s time-delimited, like a license) or be revoked (if it was issued in error), but you will always have it in your possession. If it is expired or revoked, a third party would no longer be able to verify its validity.
- What if I lose my phone or my mobile app?
As long as you have your passphrase, you can import your credentials to a new app at any time and still prove it belongs to you. Just re-download the app, enter your passphrase, and import your credentials.
If you lose your passphrase, however, it is like losing the ID that says you are who you say you are; without the passphrase you will not be able to retrieve your credentials on a new app. If this happens, you will need to download the app again, get a new passphrase, and contact us so we can re-issue your Maryville credentials.