Drivers of University owned vehicles (including University vans) must be a current employee or student. Family members, former employees, alums, etc. are not permitted to drive University vehicles. All drivers must be 18 or older. Drivers younger than 19 will NOT be permitted to drive a University van unless a Maryville employee not younger than 21 is present.
Approval through the Office of Public Safety is required EACH academic year starting on August 1 in order to drive a University vehicle. Completion of a motor vehicle record background check and van orientation program is required prior to granting approval to any driver. It takes approximately two weeks to get approval from Public Safety for students, faculty, and staff to become approved drivers (potentially longer for out-of-state licenses). Public Safety may request information from public and private sources about a driver’s driving record.
Vehicle Reservation Process
- All vans are reserved through the Office of University Events and includes completion of a Van and Motor Vehicle Record Authorization/Release form submitted to Public Safety.
- Athletic sports have priority for van requests/reservations (first come/first serve). All other requests for van(s) can only be requested 30 days before the event.
- For student use, only student organization advisors may reserve vans through EMS, the Faculty/Staff Space Reservation System through the Office of University Events.
- Each van is requested and reserved through the university calendar system. Vans must be used only during the reserved/checkout date and time. Each van request must have a budget number, approved drive, and destination of the event. Vans reserved and not used must be cancelled on the calendar.
Vehicle Usage Guidelines
- Maryville University does not permit the use of University vans for non-University-related activities/events.
- Maryville University does not permit the rental of 15-passenger vans for University-related activities/events.
- All Maryville 12-passenger vans are limited to 10 people, including the driver. All seats must remain in the van. Under no circumstances are seats to be removed from the van.
- A bus company will be used for transportation needs for out-of-town trips for athletic teams, student activities, and field trips requiring the use of more than two vans.
- Driving time is limited to 4 hours before a rest break must be taken. An approved backup driver is required on all trips over 6 hours drive each way, and the name of all drivers must be submitted on the calendar van request.
- A Maryville employee is required to be present on all out-of-town and/or overnight trips. (Out-of-town is defined as any trip in excess of 100 miles from the main campus.)
- Drivers are prohibited from using any handheld device while operating a University vehicle.
- The use of a trailer hitch is not permitted on any University van being used to transport passengers.
- Van mileage fees are submitted to the accounting office at the end of each month for processing. Tracking mileage is required during use of University vehicles.
- Failure to return van keys and/or gas credit cards, and/or return a dirty van will result in a $50 fine to the group/department that reserved the van.
Student officers of student organizations and their advisors should refer to the Student Organization Handbook for additional information about vehicle reservation and use.
Policy Revised July 2020