Animals/Pets in University Facilities and on Campus
In order to maintain a learning environment that enables University business to occur with minimal distraction and disruption while also reducing the potential of health risk and facility damage, the University has established this policy regarding animals on University property or at University sponsored events.
If an animal is brought onto University property, the following rules apply:
- An animal may be allowed on campus in the company of the owner in “animal friendly” areas defined as all outdoor general public access areas.
- All animals must be attended by their owners and fully under the owner’s control at all times.
- Animals are not permitted to run at large on University grounds. Animals found running at large on University grounds will be reported to an animal control officer or local law enforcement.
- Animals may not be left unattended or secured to University property. Variable weather conditions in Missouri make it dangerous to leave an animal unattended in a vehicle. Any animal discovered in distress will be reported to an animal control officer or local law enforcement.
- Owners must clean up after their animals and properly dispose of all animal waste.
- Indoor areas are not considered animal friendly and animals are not permitted in any University facilities with the exception of service animals as outlined in the Assistance Animal Policy. Aquarium fish are allowed in on-campus residential spaces per the Residential Life Living Guide.
Animals brought onto University property for educational purposes connected to an academic program or University-sponsored event require advance approval from both the Dean of Students Office and Public Safety.
The University will accept no responsibility for an owner’s animal at any time. Owners are solely responsible for all damages caused by animals brought to campus. Damages include, but are not limited to:
- Damage caused to University property;
- Damage caused to the property of a member of the University community;
- Cleaning made necessary by the animal; and
- Flea exterminations.
The Dean of Students or Public Safety Office may order removal of an animal under any one or more of the following conditions:
- A complaint is received from a member of the University community; or
- The University custodial or maintenance staff complain of cleanliness problems or damage to University property; or
- The animal causes serious injury to any member of the University community; or
- The conditions in this policy are not met.
Failure to comply with the conditions in this policy may result in immediate restrictions for the animal’s owner along with other disciplinary action.
Policy Revised July 2020