Gabriel ColbeckAssociate Professor of Biology
Phone: Work 314.529.9423
- Graduate: Ph.D., Zoology. Washington State University; Pullman, WA; May 2009; Dissertation: “Phylogeography, song divergence and reproductive isolation in two species of songbird”
- Undergraduate: B.A., Biology (minor – French). Truman State University; Kirksville, MO; December 2000
- Assistant Dean, Natural and Actuarial Sciences and Mathematics, Maryville University, St. Louis, Missouri (June 2012 – current)
- Assistant Professor of Biology, Maryville University, St. Louis, Missouri (fall 2011 – current)
- Courses taught:
- BIOL 353 – General Genetics & Lab. Fall 2011,2012
- BIOL 206 – General Microbiology & Lab. Fall 2011
- BIOL 476 – Molecular Genetics & Lab. Spring 2012
- BIOL 118 – General Biology & Lab. Spring 2012,2013
- BIOL 297 – Tropical Ecology (Galapagos Islands, Ecuador). Winter 2013
- Courses taught:
- Postdoctoral Fellow, Canadian Healthy Oceans Network (CHONe) (spring 2009 – summer 2011), Université Laval, Québec (Canada)
Colbeck, G.J., M.S. Webster, P.P. Marra and H.L. Gibbs. 2008. “Phylogeography of a widespread North American migratory songbird (Setophaga ruticilla): isolation by distance and evidence for an Atlantic coastal shelf Pleistocene refugium.” Journal of Heredity. 99: 453-463.
Durrant, K.L., P.P. Marra, S.M. Fallon, G.J. Colbeck, H.L. Gibbs, K.A. Hobson, D.R. Norris, B. Bernik, V.L. Lloyd and R.C. Fleischer. 2008. “Parasite assemblages distinguish populations of a migratory passerine on its breeding grounds.” Journal of Zoology. 274: 318-326.
Colbeck, G.J., T.S. Sillett and M.S. Webster. 2010. “Asymmetric discrimination of geographical variation in song in a migratory passerine.” Animal Behaviour. 80: 311-318.
Maltais, E., G. Daigle, G.J. Colbeck and J.J. Dodson. 2010. “Spawning dynamics of American shad (Alosa sapidissima) in the St. Lawrence River, Canada-USA.” Ecology of Freshwater Fish. 19: 586-594.
Colbeck, G.J., J. Turgeon, P. Sirois and J.J. Dodson. 2011. “Historical introgression and the role of selective vs neutral processes in structuring nuclear genetic variation (AFLP) in a circumpolar marine fish, the capelin (Mallotus villosus).” Molecular Ecology. 20: 1976-1987.
Turgeon, J., Duchesne, P., Colbeck G. J., Postma, L. D. and Hammill M. O. 2012. Spatiotemporal segregation among summer stocks of beluga (Delphinapterus leucas) despite nuclear gene flow: implications for the endangered belugas in eastern Hudson Bay (Canada). Conservation Genetics. 13: 419-433.
Colbeck, G. J., Duchesne, P., Postma, L. D., Lesage, V., Hammill, M. O. and J. T. Turgeon. 2013. Groups of related belugas (Delphinapterus leucas) travel together during their seasonal migrations in and around Hudson Bay. Proceedings of the Royal Society of London, series B. 280: 20122552