Finally, you are ready to Student Teach…or are you?
- been formally admitted to the Maryville University teacher education program?
- earned a 3.0 minimum GPA on all Education Courses with no grade below a “C-”?
- earned a 3.0 minimum GPA on content courses (Art & Middle School)?
- maintained a 2.75 minimum cumulative GPA?
- passed the MoGEA exam?
- completed a pre-student teaching Professional Learning Journal review with ratings of “3″ or better on the rubric?
- taken the Missouri Content Assessment for your field of certification in the semester prior to student teaching?
If you answered “yes” to all of the above you are well on your way to student teaching! If not, you have some work to do – contact your advisor right away to get on track.
Dates and Deadlines
- February 1 of the year before student teaching:
Turn in your completed Student Teaching Application form to the School of Education office in Gander 243.
- February 28 of the year before student teaching:
Complete your Student Teaching Personal Data Form. Email your completed form to Penny Greene, Coordinator of Clinical Experiences: firstname.lastname@example.org
- March 15 of the year before student teaching:
Contact your advisor after this date to discuss your transcript review and make sure that you are on track for student teaching and program completion.
- May of the year before student teaching:
You will be receiving your placement confirmation some time during the summer. When you do, contact your cooperating teacher to discuss your placement and make arrangements for beginning during his/her pre-planning in August. Read the entire Student Teaching Handbook to familiarize yourself with requirements and procedures for student teaching.
- August of your student teaching year:
Keep the entire month of August open on your calendar until you know the start date for your student teaching or August Experience. You will begin working with your cooperating teacher during their pre-planning for the school year. If you are a Fall student teacher you will spend this time and the entire semestser working in the classroom. If you are a Spring student teacher you will work with your cooperating teacher during pre-planning and also through the first one to two weeks the students are in the classroom (August Experience) and then you will return to the classroom for your formal student teaching in January. Please note that there will be a mandatory student teaching/cooperating teacher workshop in August/September. You will be notified of this date when you receive your placement details.
- Early in your student teaching semester:
Register with the state for certification at this link: https://k12apps.dese.mo.gov/webLogin/login.aspx . Here you will create your online DESE Profile. Begin work on your MoREAP application process.
- February-March of your student teaching year:
Sign up for, submit resumes, and attend the Teacher Career Day at Maryville University.
Missouri Content Assessments
Teacher education candidates must pass the Missouri Content Assessment for all areas of certification in which they are seeking licensure.
The Missouri Educator Gateway Assessments (MEGA) website has all of the information necessary to identify the exam(s) you will need to take, the test dates and sites, preparation materials, alternative testing arrangements as well as testing policies. Click here to go to the MEGA website for all the details necessary to register for the Missouri Content Assessment needed for your area of certification. Here you will also find quick links to view or change your registration, tips for the day of the test, you’ll be able to view your scores and testing history, as well as get help finding any other information you may need.