This policy is designed to assist you in understanding how we may collect, use, store, safeguard, disclose and destroy biometric data. Maryville will update this policy if it begins collecting biometric data for any other purposes.
This policy is publicly available at https://www.maryville.edu/digital-coaches-bipa/.
Biometric Data Defined
As used in this policy, “Biometric Data” means any data that is protected as “biometric data,” “biometric information,” “biometric identifier” or comparable term under state laws, including, but not limited to, “biometric identifiers” and “biometric information” as defined in the Illinois Biometric Information Privacy Act, 740 ILCS § 14/1, et seq.
“Biometric identifier” means a retina or iris scan, fingerprint, voiceprint, or scan of hand or face geometry. Biometric identifiers do not include writing samples, written signatures, photographs, human biological samples used for valid scientific testing or screening, demographic data, tattoo descriptions, or physical descriptions such as height, weight, hair color, or eye color. Biometric identifiers do not include information captured from a patient in a health care setting or information collected, used, or stored for health care treatment, payment, or operations under the federal Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act of 1996.
“Biometric information” means any information, regardless of how it is captured, converted, stored, or shared, based on an individual’s biometric identifier used to identify an individual. Biometric information does not include information derived from items or procedures excluded under the definition of biometric identifiers.
Authorization for Collection of Biometric Data
Depending on the laws of the jurisdiction in which you reside, and to the extent that Maryville, its vendors, and/or the licensor of Maryville’s biometric technology collect, capture, or otherwise obtain Biometric Data relating to a student or website visitor, Maryville may be required by law to:
- Inform the student/website visitor in writing that Maryville, its vendors, and/or the licensor of Maryville’s biometric technology are collecting, capturing, or otherwise obtaining the student’s/website visitor’s Biometric Data, and that Maryville is providing such Biometric Data to its vendors and the licensor of Maryville’s biometric technology;
- Inform the student/website visitor in writing of the specific purpose and length of time for which the student’s/website visitor’s Biometric Data is being collected, stored, and used; and
- Receive a written release signed by the student/website visitor (or his or her legally authorized representative) authorizing Maryville, its vendors, and/or the licensor of Maryville’s biometric technology to collect, store, and use the student’s/website visitor’s Biometric Data for the specific purposes disclosed by Maryville, and for Maryville to provide such Biometric Data to its vendors and the licensor of Maryville’s biometric technology.
Maryville, its vendors, and/or the licensor of Maryville’s biometric technology will not sell, lease, trade, or otherwise profit from Biometric Data; provided, however, that the vendor and/or licensor may be paid for biometric technology used by Maryville that utilize such Biometric Data.
Purpose for Collection of Biometric Data
Maryville, its vendors, and/or the licensor may collect, store, and use Biometric Data during the course of conducting Maryville’s operations and for the purpose of providing products or services to Maryville’s students and visitors to our website.
Disclosure of Biometric Data
Maryville will not disclose or disseminate any Biometric Data to anyone other than its biometric technology vendors and/or licensors unless:
- First obtaining written consent to such disclosure or dissemination;
- The disclosed data completes a financial transaction requested or authorized by the student or website visitor;
- Disclosure is required by state or federal law or municipal ordinance; or
- Disclosure is required pursuant to a valid warrant or subpoena issued by a court of competent jurisdiction.
Retention Schedule for Biometric Data
Maryville will retain Biometric Data only until, and will request that its vendors and the licensor of Maryville’s biometric technology permanently destroy such data when, the first of the following occurs (in each case unless otherwise required by law):
- The initial purpose for collecting or obtaining such Biometric Data has been satisfied, such as the termination of the student’s enrollment with Maryville; or
- Within 3 years of the student’s/website visitor’s last interaction with Maryville.
Safeguarding Biometric Data
To the extent Maryville possesses Biometric Data, such data will be stored, transmitted, and protected from disclosure using a reasonable standard of care within Maryville’s industry. Storage, transmission, and protection from disclosure shall be performed in a manner that is the same as or more protective than the manner in which Maryville stores, transmits and protects from disclosure other confidential and sensitive information used to uniquely identify an individual (e.g., an account number, a PIN number, a pass code, a driver’s license number, or a Social Security number).
How To Contact Us
If you have any questions about our privacy policies or practices, please contact us at:
650 Maryville University Drive
St. Louis, MO 63141