Pre-Departure Information & Resources
- Important Dates
- Applying for an F1 Student Visa
- Travel Tips
- Arrival Information
- Maryville Email
- Housing Information
- Financial Arrangements
- Payment of Fees
- Financial Aid and Employment
- Health Care in the USA
- Health Insurance and Health Care
View a complete Maryville University academic schedule at: Academic Calendar Page.
August 6 – Visa appointment deadline
August 16 – International student orientation
August 23 – First day of class
Applying for an F-1 Student Visa
- Sign the front page of your I-20 and contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an F-1 student visa appointment. *Canadian students do not apply for an F-1 visa.
- Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee prior to your Embassy appointment. All individuals entering the U.S. with an I-20 must pay this fee unless they have paid it with a recent prior admission. Keep your I-901 fee receipt of payment.
- Apply for your F-1 student visa
- Because the requirements to apply for a U.S. visa differ from country to country, you should contact the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your country to obtain specific visa application information.
- Pay the appropriate fees and bring all required documents.
You may find the following tips to be useful when applying for a student visa:
- You must be honest when completing your visa application.
- You must prove that you have sufficient money to cover the entire cost of your education during your first year of study (and adequate funds for each subsequent year of study).
- You must have a clear educational goal in mind when you apply for a visa. The consular official will be looking for specific information about how you decided to attend Maryville University. What process did you follow? Why did you choose Maryville University over other institutions? Why did you choose your degree program?
- An F-1 visa is a nonimmigrant visa type. Therefore, students must show nonimmigrant intent. Students should be prepared to expand on their plans to depart the U.S. upon completion of the degree program.
- If you are denied a visa, the consular officer will notify you in writing of the specific reason. You can reapply if you meet the criteria in your denial letter.
We want your trip to St. Louis to be safe and pleasant. For this reason, please observe the following travel tips:
- Hand-carry your passport, I-20, admission letter, and bank or funding verification.
- Reconfirm your flight at least three days before leaving your country.
- To reduce jetlag, drink plenty of fluids on the plane, and get some rest. Refrain from eating lots of foods that contain lots of salt and sugar.
- Never carry a large amount of cash. Carry your money, passport, immigration documents, and important documents with you on the plane.
- If you need help, ask an airport employee.
- Never leave your luggage unattended.
- Be cooperative, patient and courteous when waiting in travel lines (queues).
Lambert-St. Louis International (STL) Airport is served by large airlines including Air Canada, Air Tran, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Frontier, Southwest Airlines, United Airlines, and more. Please make sure that St. Louis is your final destination (the airport code is STL).
Plan to arrive by August 16, 2021 so you can attend the International Student Orientation, gain valuable insight to Maryville, and acclimate to campus while making new friends.
As soon as you finalize your travel itinerary, please fill out the “Arrival Form” so we know when you are you arriving. The Office of International Student Success provides free transportation from the airport to your accommodation (hotel, your rental apartment, or the campus) if the Arrival Form is completed at least 2 weeks prior to your arrival.
If your flight plan changes, you are delayed unexpectedly, or a University Representative is unable to meet you at the Airport, you may follow the following recommended plan of action:
• If you plan to stay at a hotel: Take a taxi from the airport to your hotel. One option is the Marriott West – Maryville Centre, 660 Maryville Centre Drive, St. Louis, MO 63141, 314.878.2747, which is located adjacent to Maryville University. If you choose to take a taxi, this will cost approximately $30-40 USD, plus tip.
• If you plan to stay on-campus housing: Take a taxi from the airport to Maryville Campus, 650 Maryville University Drive, St. Louis, MO 63141. You may call Mrs. Esra Uysal at +1-314-281-1945, any time of day for help/information.
• If you plan to stay off-campus: Take a taxi from the airport to your destination. You may call Mrs. Esra Uysal at +1-314-281-1945, any time of day for help/information.”
If you have a great deal of luggage to bring with you to St. Louis, you may want to ship some items to the University before you leave your country. There will also be an opportunity to shop for things when you arrive. If you need to send any boxes or packages to St. Louis in advance, please use the following address:
ATTN: YOUR NAME
650 Maryville University Drive
St. Louis, MO 63141-7299
Make sure you are checking your Maryville email! All Maryville communication will be sent there moving forward. We encourage you to add it to your phone or forward the emails to your personal account so you don’t miss important information. Additional resources can be found in the myMaryville community.
Admission to the University does not guarantee that you will receive University housing. You are responsible for arranging your own housing.
If living on campus, make sure you complete the Housing Application. You will receive confirmation of your housing assignment to your Maryville email address.
Housing Contact Information:
Residential Life Office
650 Maryville University Drive
Saint Louis, MO 63141
It is important that you review all cost estimates listed on your Maryville University I-20. These estimates are the minimum projections in most cases; actual costs will vary according to your life style and enrollment. Remember the tuition amounts on your I-20 reflect full time enrollment for fall and spring semesters only. Do not expect or depend on financial aid or employment to meet your educational expenses.
Due to issues with political and economic volatility in the world, Maryville University reserves the right to request a one-semester tuition Student Enrollment deposit before confirming financial verification for an I-20. It is university policy that, if a student is denied their student visa, the university will return the full Student Enrollment deposit in a timely manner.
Payment of Fees
Financial Aid and Employment
- University funded financial aid is limited to scholarships for undergraduates.
- F-1 students can work up to 20 hours/week on campus. On-campus employment is not guaranteed.
- Working off-campus requires permission from the Department of Homeland Security and a Maryville University Designated School Official (DSO). Working off-campus without proper authorization is illegal for F-1 students.
Health Care in the USA
Maryville Immunization Policy
Review Maryville’s Immunization Policy. Bring a copy of certified medical documents that have been translated into English that show the immunizations that you have had. Students will submit immunization documentation or submit exemption forms in the Maryville University Health Portal.
All F-1 students attending Maryville are REQUIRED to purchase health insurance. F-1 students are automatically enrolled in our group plan through LewerMark unless otherwise eligible for a waiver. The cost is automatically added to the student’s account each term (fall = Aug-Dec, spring = Jan–Jul) and is included in the Form I-20 Cost of Attendance.
Students interested in waiving the LewerMark group plan should review the eligibility criteria and submit a request, if applicable.
Dental & Vision Insurance
The LewerMark plan only provides medical insurance. If interested, you can purchase supplemental dental & vision insurance. LewerMark has dental and vision plan options on their website.
Staff members in the Office of International Student Success welcome you to your new campus!
Office of International Student Success
650 Maryville University Drive
St. Louis, MO 63141