Pre-Departure Information & Resources

Important Dates

View a complete Maryville University academic schedule at: Academic Calendar Page.

Applying for a U.S. Student VISA

  1. Sign the front page of your I-20 and contact the nearest U.S. Embassy or Consulate for an F-1 student visa appointment.
  2. Pay the SEVIS I-901 fee. All individuals applying for a student visa pay this fee unless they have paid it with a recent prior admission. The SEVIS I-901 fee payment receipt will serve as proof of your payment.
  3. Obtain and complete a student visa application form. This form is available at the information counter of the U.S. Embassy/Consulate or online.
    • Because the requirements to apply for a U.S. visa differ from country to country, you should contact the U.S. Embassy/Consulate in your country to obtain specific visa application information.
    • Online at http://usembassy.state.gov/ you can obtain detailed U.S. visa information for your country.
    • Please note: Many U.S. Embassies/Consulates now take approximately four (4) to six (6) weeks to process student visas.
    • Please note: Any fees you need to pay and have these fees with you when you visit the Embassy/Consulate.
  4. Go to the Embassy/Consulate or follow the mailing instructions given by the Embassy or Consulate to apply for a student visa. Along with the completed visa application, you must also bring or mail the following items:
    • The original I-20 form and the admission letter sent by Maryville University.
    • A nonrefundable visa application fee. See payment instructions on the application form.
    • A passport valid for at least six (6) months beyond your intended stay in the U.S.
    • Original school transcripts and public examination certificates, including a student copy of your TOEFL, IELTS, GMAT or GRE score report if applicable.
    • Originals of your sponsor’s most recent salaries or tax forms. If you are producing fixed deposit certificates, you must provide evidence that your sponsor has had this money in deposits for a reasonable amount of time.
    • One set of all financial documents (Bank Verification).
    • Any evidence that demonstrates strong ties to your country or any other residence outside of the USA.
    • All other documents listed on the visa application.

You may find the following tips to be useful when applying for a student visa:

  • You must be honest when completing your visa application.
  • You must prove that you have sufficient money to cover the entire cost of your education during your first year of study (and adequate funds for each subsequent year of study). You should provide as much financial documentation as possible to the Embassy/Consulate (such as detailed bank statements, property records, letters from your or your sponsor’s employers, etc.).
  • You must have a clear educational goal in mind when you apply for a visa. It is important for you to know about Maryville University. Read the information we have sent you. If you have any questions, contact us. The consular official will be looking for specific information about how you decided to attend Maryville University. What process did you follow? Why did you choose Maryville University over other institutions? Reasons may include but are not limited to: degree programs available; financial assistance, low cost of living expenses and tuition; location (metropolitan city but not a big city like Los Angeles, New York, etc.); you may have a friend who is currently enrolled; you might have met a faculty or staff member from Maryville University. Think about all of this and anything else and be prepared to respond to the questions. In addition, you must have a clear employment objective when you return to your home country.
  • If the Consular Official believes that it is your intent to immigrate to the U.S. rather than return to your country after your studies are completed, your visa will be denied. This is one of the major reasons for visa denials.
  • You should not be discouraged if you are denied a visa. If you are denied a visa, the consular officer will notify you in writing of the specific reason. You then should reapply for a student visa when you can submit the needed items or documentation.

Travel Tips

Many students find international travel to be fun and exciting. We want your trip to St. Louis to be safe and pleasant. For this reason, please observe the following travel tips:

  • Hand-carry your passport, I-20, admission letter, and bank or funding verification.
  • Reconfirm your flight at least three days before leaving your country.
  • To reduce jetlag, drink plenty of non-alcoholic fluids on the plane, and get some rest. Refrain from eating lots of foods that contain lots of salt and sugar.
  • Never carry a large amount of cash. Carry your money, passport, immigration documents, and important documents with you on the plane. You should have at least $1500 in Travelers Checks when you arrive to cover initial expenses such as taxi or bus fare, meals, first rent installment, books and supplies. Bank drafts, other than negotiable Travelers Checks, will take one or two weeks to clear.  If you carry more than $10,000US with you in to the US, US Customs will require that you fill out an additional form of declaration (FinCEN 105).  For more information, please visit this link: https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/778/kw/cash.
  • If you need help, ask an airport employee.
  • Never leave your luggage unattended.
  • Be cooperative, patient and courteous when waiting in travel lines (queues).

Arrival Information

It is important that you plan your schedule well so that you will be able to reach St. Louis, USA as indicated on your U.S. Arrival Form. Lambert-St. Louis International (STL) Airport is served by large airlines including Air Canada, Air Tran, American Airlines, Delta Airlines, Frontier, Southwest Airlines, Midwest Airlines, United Airlines, Continental Airlines and Northwest Airlines. Please make sure that St. Louis is your final destination (the airport code is STL). With the receipt of your “Arrival Information” at least two weeks prior to your arrival, a representative from Maryville University will meet you at the Lambert-St. Louis International Airport and will provide FREE transportation from the airport. If your flight plan changes, you are delayed unexpectedly, or a University Representative is unable to meet you at the Airport, you may follow the following recommended plan of action:

Take a taxi from the airport to Marriott West – Maryville Centre, 660 Maryville Centre Drive, St. Louis, MO 63141, 314.878.2747, which is located adjacent to Maryville University. If you choose to take a taxi, this will cost approximately US$30 to US$40, plus tip.


Be aware that airlines have a maximum weight requirement per suit case. If you have a great deal of luggage to bring with you to St. Louis, you may want to ship some items to the University before you leave your country. If you wish to send any boxes or packages to St. Louis, please use the following address:

Office of International Admissions
Maryville University
650 Maryville University Drive
St. Louis, MO 63141-7299

Housing Information

Admission to the University does not guarantee that you will receive University housing. You are responsible for arranging your own housing.

  • Unmarried undergraduate International students are required to live on campus for the first 2 years, unless living with relatives.
  • We recommend that you make housing reservations before coming to St. Louis.
  • You will need to fill out the online Residential Life Housing Application to reserve your on-campus Housing. On-campus residence halls with single & double room as well as apartments are available dependent upon your academic status with Maryville University. A meal agreement is required with the campus cafeteria.

Housing Contact Information:

Residential Life Office
Maryville University
650 Maryville University Drive
Saint Louis, MO 63141
Kristi Hipp, Residential Life Coordinator

Financial Arrangements

It is important that you review all cost estimates listed on your Maryville University I-20. These estimates are the minimum projections in most cases; actual costs will vary according to your life style. Remember the tuition amounts on your immigration document reflect full time enrollment for fall and spring semesters only (12 credit hours per semester for Undergraduate students and 9 credit hours per semester for Graduate students). You may actually want to enroll in more courses and this may mean higher total tuition costs. Do not expect or depend on financial aid or part-time employment to meet your educational expenses. During your first year, part-time employment on campus may be limited.

Due to issues with political and economic volatility in the world, Maryville University reserves the right to request a one-semester tuition Student Enrollment deposit before confirming financial verification for an I-20 or DS-2019.  It is university policy that, if a student is denied their student visa, the university will return the full Student Enrollment deposit in a timely manner.

For bank wire transfer information, please contact the International Admissions Office for details.

Payment of Fees

All fees are payable at the time of registration. For the first semester, all fees are due upon registration. After the first semester, Maryville University International students may also arrange an installment payment plan with the Cashiers Office. If a bill is to be sent to a government sponsoring agency or institution, please present your sponsor’s guarantee letter for payment to the University Cashier upon registration.

Financial Aid and Employment

  • University funded financial aid is limited to scholarships for undergraduates.
  • Authorization for part-time employment on the Maryville campus is usually available after the first semester of attendance. Although sometimes hard to find, on-campus jobs in various university offices and departments can be located if a student has work skills and experience.
  • Working off campus without permission from immigration or a Maryville University Designated School Official (DSO) is illegal for F-1 and J-1 students. U.S. Immigration law prohibits all U.S. employers from hiring anyone who does not have a verifiable, legal permission for employment, and international students cannot apply for such employment permission until they have completed one full academic year of study.

Health Care in the USA

Immunization: Bring a copy of certified medical documents that have been translated into English that show the immunizations that you have had. We strongly recommend that you are immunized before coming to the U.S.A. For International students, Maryville University requires proof of immunization against:

  • Measles
  • Mumps
  • Rubella

If you have children and are bringing them with you, you need to have copies of their immunization record. If your children are eligible to attend school while they are here, they must prove that they have
had the following immunizations before they will be allowed to enter school in the U.S.A:

  • Polio
  • Mumps
  • Measles
  • Rubella
  • Diphtheria
  • Pertussis
  • Tetanus vaccinations
  • Test for Tuberculosis.

Health Insurance and Health Care

Health Insurance is mandatory for the protection of you and your family. All students and scholars attending Maryville are REQUIRED to purchase health insurance available on campus as a part of the enrollment and registration process each term or demonstrate acquisition of insurance in the United States prior to arrival. The student is billed automatically upon registration for classes unless Maryville University is otherwise notified.The University’s insurance plan covers or exceeds all typical insurance options outlined by the
U.S. Government as requirements for foreign students and scholars.

Failure to purchase and maintain health insurance may result in the termination of your immigration status.

Health Services will maintain your health record information and does require students living in university housing, our athletes, cheerleaders and our health professional students to submit a completed health form at least one month before beginning their career as a Maryville student. While this document is confidential, the dates of your physical exam, dates of immunizations and tuberculosis test will be shared with appropriate clinical/practica instructors and/or the athletic department as required by each program so you need to submit only one form. Failure to provide this information may result in inability to register for class, loss of eligibility to participate in athletic competition or to participate in required clinical/practica experiences. If you are a commuter student, not living on campus, please submit your completed immunization form so that if an outbreak of a contagious disease occurs on campus we will know your immunization status. Students without proper immunization during an outbreak on campus of certain contagious diseases (such as measles, mumps or rubella) will not be allowed to attend class or other university activity under the recommendation of the St. Louis County Health Department and Centers for Disease Control.

The costs of this insurance are included in the expenses listed on your I-20 form.

Pre-Existing Conditions

Insurance companies will usually not pay for treatment of a problem that you had before you enrolled in their program; therefore, if you have a recurring medical problem that requires a doctor’s attention, it is important that you be checked and tested before you come to the U.S.A. Bring an adequate supply of medication with you so that it will not be necessary to see a doctor during the first few hectic weeks of settling in. Likewise, bring copies of your doctor’s prescription(s) for your medical condition. Please remember, if you come to the U.S.A. with a pre-existing medical condition, you will most likely have to pay all costs incurred for treatment of that condition while you are here.

Eye Care

At this time, a visit to the eye doctor costs about US$45.00 to US$100.00 and eyeglasses can cost US$200.00 USD. If you have any eye condition that requires more than corrective eyeglasses, then there will be additional costs. To save money, have your eyes examined before you leave home and bring a copy of your prescription with you (written in English), so that you will not have to go to another doctor to
replace lost or broken eyeglasses. Please note that the Maryville University student insurance does not cover the cost of eye care.

Dental Care

Dental care in the U.S.A. is very expensive and is not covered by Maryville University student health insurance. If you have access to a dentist at home, we suggest that you have your teeth cleaned and fixed before you leave.

Staff members in the Office of International Student Success welcome you to your new campus!

Office of International Student Success
Maryville University
650 Maryville University Drive
St. Louis, MO 63141
Tel: 314-529-9646