THE MISSOURI STATE
GREAT SCIENCE DEBATE
Recognition – Awards – Trophies – Cash Prizes
The 2013 Topic
Appropriate vs. Not Appropriate
The competition will be in the traditional Parliamentary Style format as established by the Maryville University College of Arts and Sciences, Department of Communication. If you are interested in voicing your opinion, wanting to be heard and enjoy competing for recognition, awards, trophies and cash prizes, then this debate is the challenge for you and your team. If your school’s team is chosen, you will go brain-to-brain and mouth-to-mouth with the competing school on Saturday, March 15th at 1:30 PM as part of the JSEHS program. The winning team will be awarded $700 for their science department and the runner-up team will receive $300.
How To Be Part Of The Debate:
- Create a team of 4 students (grades 10-12) with 2 alternates from your school.
- At least one member of each team must submit a research paper to the Symposium for competition.
- All team members must be registered to attend the Symposium.
- Complete the application form on the website.
- Deadline to apply is February 14, 2014.
How Are Final Teams Selected?
- Teams will submit a video by February 28th to email@example.com (Submission details TBA.)
- Videos must contain:
- Introduction of the team and each member
- Each member’s 5-minute presentation in the order the team has established.
- A panel of judges from Maryville University will:
- Evaluate each individual’s performance for presentation skills, logic, flow of thought and contribution to team strategy
- Compare/contrast the team members’ effectiveness
- Select the final teams to compete in Saturday’s competition.
- Final team selections will be announced Friday, March 7, 2014.
- Teams of four members from two schools will be chosen to represent each side of the resolution.
- Time limits will be alternating five-minute speeches by each student with two-minute cross examinations by the opposing team.
- Thirty minutes will be allowed for audience questions at the end of the presentations.
- The winning team will be selected by the audience and a panel of professional judges.
- The Department of Communication at Maryville University will determine the rules and guidelines, oversee the judging and administer the contest. Decision of the judges is final.
- Judging criteria is listed on this scoring sheet.
DEADLINE IS FEBRUARY 14, 2014
College of Arts and Sciences
U.S.Army Research Office
Office of Naval Research
Air Force Office of Scientific Research