Missouri Regional Awards
Research Paper Presenters
- $1000 cash award goes to each first-place sectional winner in each category.
- $500 cash award goes to second-place presenters.
Selected student presenters compete in six separate categories:
- Behavioral Science
- General Biology
- Physics/Engineering/Computer Science
The top 6 presenters (winners from each category) will repeat their research presentation to the entire delegation near the end of the symposium. A panel of judges will determine their regional rankings.
- The National JSHS organization awards a total of $4,500 in undergraduate, tuition scholarships ($2,000, $1500 and $1000) to the top 3 regional finalists.
- The top five regional finalists receive an expense-paid trip to attend the National symposium.
- First and second place regional finalists will receive an invitation to present their research at the National event.
- The third place finalist is invited to participate in the National poster session. More information regarding the National program is available at: www.jshs.org
Prizes are awarded to first and second place poster presenters. Last year an iPod and a Nook were awarded. Prizes may vary each year.
All students participating in the poster session must indicate this on their individual registration form. (Check box on form.)
Missouri American Water Research Award
- A $500 award to a student for the best original water quality research paper.
- Another $500 award to the teacher who mentored the student.
- To be considered for this award, please fill out the application before submitting your paper. Papers should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. In the subject area, please enter your Last Name: MO Am Water Award. All entry forms can be found on the Registration Forms page.
The Missouri State Great Science Debate
- $700 cash award to winning team.
- $300 cash award to runner up team.
(Awards go to school’s science department.)
St. Louis Paint and Coating Society Award
- A $1000 award to the student for a project that focuses on coatings and/or surface preparation.
- A $500 award to the mentoring teacher.
- Symposium co-directors will evaluate submissions to ensure applicability before submitting to the SLPCS.
- Research projects/papers must involve:
- the chemistry and engineering of paints and organic surface coatings; or
- surface modification to enhance adhesion of coating materials.
- The Society intends that these awards will be used to support the costs of higher education and classroom instruction, respectively.
A limited number of grants, each to a maximum of $50, will be available to purchase equipment and materials. Applications for grants, which should note the scope of the intended project and intended budget, should be submitted in advance.
To be considered for this award, please fill out the application before submitting your paper. Papers should be emailed to email@example.com. In the subject area, please enter your Last Name: SLPCS Award. All entry forms can be found on the Registration Forms page.
Missouri Teacher Award
The National JSHS, through the sponsorship of the U.S. Army, Navy and Air Force, provides a $500 award to one teacher from each region honoring his or her contribution to advancing student participation in research. Students may nominate one teacher who is accompanying one or more students to the Missouri symposium. Student Applications include a section for students to nominate and explain why their teacher should receive this award.