Maryville University’s Center for Academic Success and First-Year Experience provides trained and carefully selected tutors free of charge to assist students who need help with specific subjects, assignments, or projects. Tutors are not only knowledgeable in their subject areas, but they are also knowledgeable in study skills, time management, and test taking strategies.
Although Peer Tutoring is fully-staffed and run by students for students, the tutors are trained and guided by Kelly Mock, the associate director of the Center for Academic Success and First-Year Experience. Her enthusiasm for each student’s success combined with the tutors’ enthusiasm to teach subjects they know and love make this a great place to both learn and work. Stop by and visit!
For an appointment, please fill out our form online or call 314.529.9228.
Tutoring appointment requests are available Monday through Friday from 7:30 AM to 6:30 PM.
If you have a suggestion for resources that you would find helpful to be linked to our website, let us know!
BYOH (Bring Your Own Homework)
Writing and math tutors are available in the University Library. An appointment is not needed to receive assistance on those challenging math problems or with papers.
For more information regarding BYOH, call 314.529.9228 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Housed in the Center for Academic Success and First-Year Experience and staffed by screened and trained undergraduates, the Maryville University Writing Studio can help students to become better writers in any subject or major. Writing tutors offer individualized learning sessions for specific projects or help in general, in all aspects of writing: generating ideas and planning a draft, citing sources and avoiding plagiarism, and revising for coherence, concision, and clarity. Students may visit on their own or on the recommendation of an instructor. The Writing Studio is also a speaking center, offering tutorials for in-class presentations or for ESL students in conversational English.
For more information on helping students develop their writing talents visit the Writing Studio.
Peer Tutor Request Form
To request a Peer Tutor:
- Come to the Center for Academia Success and First-Year Experience in the University Library, or
- Call 314.529.9228 and leave a message with your tutoring needs
When you request a Peer Tutor:
- Your request is usually filled within twenty-four hours during the week.
- You also receive a confirmation email reminding you of your appointment.
- Peer tutoring sessions are conducted in the University Library
To become a Peer Tutor
- Complete an application, including the signatures of two faculty members who will recommend you for the program.
- Have the two faculty members complete a faculty recommendation based on your skills in your subject area and in interpersonal relations.
- Return both sheets to Kelly Mock, the associate director of the Center for Academic Success and First-Year Experience in the University Library.
- Schedule an appointment to discuss tutoring opportunities with Kelly Mock. To make an appointment, call the Center at 314.529.9228.
What Students Are Saying About Peer Tutors
- “She was a great help, and she really made the terms and concepts easier to understand. And she even offered help outside of the hours of the success center.”
- “Having an appointment helped me face daunting homework that I would have otherwise given up on.”
- “My tutor was very helpful in getting me through a very difficult class. I’m very happy that I had her help!”
- “The Center for Academic Success and First-Year Experience has provided the support I needed to be successful in my classes.”
- “My tutor is very patient.”
- “I could not have gotten through the writing process without my tutor’s help.”
- “She explained the basics which helped me tie everything together and understand it.
- “The tutor was entirely competent at the Algebra subject matter and very good at teaching.”
- “She is very patient and very reliable.”
- “I would like to say: Thank you!!”
- “My tutor was patient and understanding while she provided invaluable assistance for the course.”
- “My tutor was excellent and had a thorough knowledge of the concepts being tutored.”
- “I can’t say enough about how wonderful this program is.”
- “I was going to withdraw; but I got peer tutoring and passed the course with flying colors.”
- “I always recommend the peer tutor program to my friends and peers at Maryville — it’s an awesome resource!.”
- “The tutor’s confidence in the subject actually helps bolster my confidence.”
- “My tutor is wonderful! She is so patient and kind. She is a very special person and will go out of her way to help you understand the material. I give her high regard and great respect as a young woman, who I know will achieve her goals. Thanks so much for everything.”
- “My tutor was awesome. He made me feel comfortable, was very helpful and encouraged me to come in any time for help. As a nurse I do struggle with papers and he did not make me feel dumb… I will be using the writing center throughout my program.”
For FREE services, call the Peer Tutors at 314.529.9228 or e-mail us at email@example.com.