Cap & Gown
Participants in the commencement ceremony are expected to wear appropriate academic attire. Academic attire consists of a cap, a gown, and, in the case of a graduate and doctoral degree, a hood.
How to Order Caps, Gowns, and Hoods
Your cap and gown order was automatically processed when you applied for graduation and noted your height and weight on the form. Graduation Fair is the best time to pick up your cap and gown. Graduates keep their cap and gown so there is no need to return them after the commencement ceremony.
Caps, gowns, and hoods may be picked up:
- At the Graduation Fair on Thursday, February 21st between 10:00 a.m. – 6:00 p.m. or Saturday, February 23rd between 10:00 a.m. – 1:00 p.m. in the Donius University Center.
- In person at the University Bookstore located in the Donius University Center (Main Campus)
- Monday – Friday 7:30 a.m. – 9:00 p.m.
- Saturday and Sunday 10:00 a.m. – 7:00 p.m.
- For questions about pick up, contact the University Bookstore by calling 314-529-9498 or 314-529-9499.
Caps, Gowns, and Hoods
Caps and gowns are black. Tassels for undergraduate degrees are red and white, and for graduate degrees are black. The tassel is worn on the right front quadrant of the cap and is moved to the left after all participants have been presented and the degrees are ceremonially conferred. For Master’s degree candidates, the color of the velvet on the hood indicates the specific field of study. Students may also wear honor cords or other symbols of their membership in University honor societies and organizations. White collars are no longer necessary.
There is no additional cost for caps, gowns, and hoods. Participants do not need to return these items.