Mission Statement & Goals
Accounting Mission Statement
The mission of the Accounting Program is to assist students in obtaining the knowledge and developing the skills that will lead them to successful careers in the accounting profession and business environment. We accomplish this mission by:
- Offering a curriculum, based on professional guidelines and input from employers and alumni, that emphasizes technical competence, communication skills, responsibility and ethical values, and the changing regulatory, technological, and global environment.
- Assuring experiential and service learning opportunities to connect accounting theory and practice.
- Providing and promoting opportunities to build relationships with business professionals.
- Creating an environment for innovation, lifelong learning, community service, and integrity.
- Encouraging pursuit of the CPA license and professional certifications.
Accounting Program Goals
A graduate of Maryville University with a major in accounting should be able to:
- Express an understanding of the concepts, processes, and regulations of the major areas of accounting.
- Appreciate the breadth and responsibility of the accounting profession in a global society and its interrelationship with other business functions.
- Use decision modeling skills with appropriate technology to resolve accounting issues in an ethically responsible manner.
- Professionally communicate financial information, accounting positions, and research at a level appropriate to the recipient, both orally and in writing.
- Demonstrate the desire and ability to follow emerging issues and adapt to changing technology.