Criminal Justice / Criminology Careers
What Can I Do With A Criminal Justice / Criminology Degree?
As a social science major, you’ll be ready to take on careers in fields such as law enforcement, corrections, community service, and probation and parole services. Criminal Justice/Criminology majors who choose to further their education will be prepared for graduate work in sociology, psychology, political science, social work, and law.
Some fast facts:
- The U.S. Department of Labor projected that law enforcement and corrections are among the top 25 fastest growing occupational categories in the country.
- All federal and most state agencies require employees to have a college degree.
- Among agencies for which a degree is not a requirement, more and more recruiters still look for college graduates.
Additional Career Options
Positions in each tier of government are readily available to graduates with a BA in Criminal Justice/Criminology. Below is a list of your potential employers or careers:
- The Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms
- Central Intelligence Agency
- Drug Enforcement Agency
- Federal Bureau of Investigations
- Federal Marshall
- Immigration and Naturalization Services
- Secret Service
- Institutional Caseworker
- Juvenile Detention Facilities
- Missouri and Illinois State Correctional Facilities
- Missouri and Illinois State Highway Patrol
- Missouri Department of Natural Resources Park Services
- Probation and Parole Services
- State Liquor Control Commission
- Community Research and Planning
- Domestic Violence Agencies
- Halfway Houses and Pre-Release Programs
- Legal Assistant
- Municipal Peace Officer
- Victims of Crime Assistance Program
Some of our graduates are employed by:
- St. Charles Police Department
- University City Police Department
- Jennings Police Department
- Chesterfield Police Department
- Sunset Hills Police Department
- St Louis County Police Department
- Missouri State Highway Patrol
- Federal Probation and Parole, Eastern District of Missouri
- Maryville University, Public Safety Officer
- Missouri Department of Youth Services
- Missouri Office of the Public Defender (45th Judicial Circuit)
- Missouri Probation and Parole Potosi Correctional Facility, substance abuse advisor
- St. Charles Probation and Parole
- Scottsbluff County Attorney’s Office-Child Support Enforcement Officer
Others were accepted into:
- Graduate Program at Eastern Michigan University
- Graduate Program at Southern Illinois University at Edwardsville
- Graduate Program at University of Missouri, St. Louis
- Saint Louis University School of Law
- Washington University School of Law
- Valparaiso University School of Law
Office of Career and Professional Development
We are here to help students navigate their way through the process of seeking meaningful and valuable career experiences, including on-campus employment, internships, service opportunities, and part-time and full-timework. Our team helps you develop a resume and cover letters, conduct mock interviews and contemplate your future career choices. We also offer ongoing professional development workshops and events.
Our partnership begins right away. When you arrive on campus, you’ll work in tandem with a life coach to ensure a smooth and successful transition to Maryville.