Internships are an important building block for our communication program. We require students to do one internship for credit before they graduate. In addition, we encourage our students to work towards having three internships, if possible, before graduation. This helps our students gain valuable work experience, learn about different types of work environments and management styles, and work on a variety of tasks.
Ideal Recommendations for Internship Timing: When should I do an internship?
- Sophomore Year: Take COMM 223: Professional and Organizational Communication
- Summer Before Junior Year or Junior Year- Complete an (not for credit hours) Internship
- Summer Before Senior Year or Senior Year- Complete the (for credit) Comm Internship
Internship For Credit Requirements
At the beginning of your internship semester you must:
- Register for COMM 499 and the appropriate hours (e.g., 3 credits= 135 work hours)
- Adhere to the Internship Course Syllabus
Below are just a few internships Maryville students have completed. Take a look at our Resource Guide for Job/Internship Hunting for more tips.
St. Louis Cardinals
Missouri Foundation for Health
Missouri Ballet Theatre
TEDx Gateway Arch
Town & Style
This list is a sample of the internships that communication students at Maryville University have done in 2012-2014.
All communication majors will need to complete an internship to meet Maryville’s graduation requirements. Both paid and unpaid positions are available in a variety of fields such as Public Relations, Marketing, Community Relations, Journalism, and Health Communication. Don’t wait! Please contact Dr. York to find out what exciting opportunities are available now.
Office: ABAC 3262
Office Phone: 314.529.9455