Prior Learning Assessment
Whether the reason for completing your degree is to spark a career change, to enhance your existing career or to satisfy a personal thirst for knowledge, Maryville’s Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) program can help you accomplish your goals.
Weekend & Evening College (WEC) students have the advantage of being able to turn life experiences into college credit. You’ll create an on-line portfolio that includes a learning component, learning narrative and documentation. The learning component and narrative draw a relationship between prior learning and what you would learn in a specific course. Documentation describes the related knowledge you gained in specific work or life situations.
Our PLA program allows you to capitalize on your “real-world” experience – one of the most valuable sources of knowledge – and gives you a practical college education best suited to your needs.
- Students must be degree seeking and formally accepted to the University.
- Development of the portfolio requires students to register for the one-credit hour Prior Learning Assessment Workshop (ASMT 295). The workshop follows the WEC alternate week format – meeting 8 times over the 16-week semester.
- At the end of the Workshop students submit a completed portfolio for two courses for faculty evaluation. (i.e., students have the opportunity to earn six additional credits at the end of the Workshop).
- Students may continue to submit portfolios for additional coursework for one year.
- Courses included in portfolios may include general education courses, required courses for major and minor, and electives. Acceptable courses vary by program; consult with your adviser.
- Portfolios are evaluated by Maryville full-time faculty members who have expertise in their area of study.
- A maximum of sixty (60) credit hours may be earned through the PLA program.
- A $40.00 transcription fee is charged for each credit hour approved (tuition for one credit hour is $547).
- Students have on-going one-on-one support from the Prior Learning Assessment Coordinator who meets regularly and individually with each student.
For more information on the Prior Learning Assessment program, contact Mary Ann Chastain at email@example.com.